Sunday, December 13, 2009

Hearts of Palm Risotto


I really like risotto and hearts of palm, so I figured I would blend the two!

2 tbsp evoo
2 tbsp butter
1/2 cup dry white wine (optional)
1 cup arborio rice
1/2 medium yellow onion, diced
3 cups chicken or vegetable broth
4 hearts of palm, sliced 1/4 inch thick
2 tbsp chopped fresh parsley
1/4 cup fresh grated Parmesan Reggiano cheese

-In a large sautee pan melt 1 tbsp butter with evoo on medium heat. Cook onions until transparent (about 3 minutes). Add rice and allow evoo and butter to be absorbed. Add wine(if using). Allow wine to cook for about 3 minutes to burn off the alcohol. Lower temp to medium-low. Add 1 cup of broth. Stir often while rice absorbs broth. Continue adding broth one cup at a time until fully absorbed and rice is tender. You may need a little more or less than 3 cups of broth. Just before serving add the additional tbsp of butter, hearts of palm, parsley and cheese. Add salt and pepper to taste. Serve immediately. Risotto gets gummy if it sits for too long. Enjoy!

This recipe is only vegetarian if you use vegetable broth!!! (Sorry, but there are some people out there who would not know this!)

1 comment:

  1. I was out of wine when I made this and I think it would have been much better with the wine. I'll upload a photo asap.

    ReplyDelete