Saturday, April 24, 2010

Caipirinha

My first drink on the blog! Caipirinahs are a Brazilian drink that's refreshing and great for spring or summer.

You will need...
Cachaca liquor
fresh limes
turbinado sugar
ice
drink shaker
muddler
short glasses
pint glass (for shaking in the drink tin)


These are normally made with turbinado sugar, but using that requires so much time in the drink shaker. Because I'm a bit  lazy, we make a simple syrup with the sugar and some water, and keep it in a bottle in the fridge for drinky time.

Before I cut my limes, I like to make sure I will be able to get maximum juice from them. I put a lime on the counter, then I press on the lime with my hand and roll it. You will be able to feel the difference when it's done and you will get lots of juice from the fruit.
Cut the fruit into half, then into eighths.
Put the lime wedges into a pint glass and muddle to get the juices out.
Add 1.5 ounces of cachacas and about a tbsp of simple syrup. Then add lots of ice and top with the drink tin. Now shake!!! Once it's nice and cold pour the whole thing into a glass and enjoy! Be careful! They are really yummy, but they'll sneak up on you!

1 comment:

  1. I love your blog. I am glad you found the passion, again! Thanks for the lime juice tip!

    You are awesome!

    ReplyDelete