Thursday, February 3, 2011

Shredded Beef Tacos in the Crock Pot

I love my crock pot! It's so nice to toss everything in in the morning and come home to dinner! I made this on Tuesday and it was so good!

3lb brisket, cut into several pieces
half a large yellow onion, diced
1 cup water
taco seasoning (I made my own! The recipe is at the end.)
1 small can of diced green chilies
taco shells or tortillas
lettuce, shredded
tomatoes, diced
red onion, diced
shredded cheese
sour cream
taco sauce
cholula or your favorite hot sauce

I started by dicing half a yellow onion. I put half of the diced onion in the bottom of the crock pot, put the meat on top of it, then put the rest of the onion on top of the meat. I dumped in the can of diced green chilies, then mixed the taco seasoning with the cup of water and put that in. I turned my crock pot on to low, then I went to work! The meat was frozen and too large to fit in the crock pot as it was, so I chopped it into five smaller pieces and shoved it in.

When I got home the whole house smelled great, and this is what the meat looked like...
I turned the crock to warm, and started chopping the lettuce, tomato and red onion for serving. When I was done with that, I started shredding the beef. There was a big sheet of fat on one side of the meat, so as I took each piece out of the pot to shred, I scraped the fat off and discarded it...
That's the fat on the left of the pic. Gross!

As I shredded each hunk of beef, I placed it in another pan on the stove to keep it all warm...
I also spooned the liquid over the beef to keep it moist.

I warmed up some hard taco shells in the oven and served the meat and shells with an assortment of toppings...
Here's the finished product...
And my dad chose to make a taco salad...

These were a little harder to eat than regular ground beef tacos. The meat tended to pull out of the bottom of the shell as we ate them, but they were so yummy! I think next time I need to cut the brisket into smaller hunks before I start cooking it. I also think it needed a bit more chili powder in the seasoning.

There was some leftover meat, so I'm going to freeze it and use it for enchiladas or burritos some time soon.

Taco seasoning recipe:
  • 1 tablespoon chili powder
  • 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
  • 1/4 teaspoon onion powder
  • 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
  • 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
  • 1/2 teaspoon paprika
  • 1 teaspoon ground cumin
  • 1 teaspoon sea salt
  • 1 teaspoon black pepper

No comments:

Post a Comment