Thursday, January 5, 2012

Scotch Eggs

There is a challenge I've decided to take on called "52 Weeks of Cooking". Each week there will be a different theme/ingredient/cooking method. I'd like to try to make something each week that I've never made before and add it to the blog. This week's ingredient is eggs. I've done scrambled, omelets, stratas, but I've never done scotch eggs, so that's what I decided on.

So here goes my version of scotch eggs...

8 eggs, hard boiled and peeled
1/2 cup of flour
2 lbs sausage (I used Jimmy Dean pork sausage with sage)
2 eggs beaten
4 pieces of bread, made into bread crumbs
vegetable oil for frying

I cut each package of sausage into four equal pieces.
I also find that it is easier to prepare anything when you have already prepped all the ingredients.


Either have a small bowl of water handy or just use the sink as I did. Wet the eggs, then rolls them in the flour to get a nice coating.

Next, flatten out 1/4 lb of sausage then wrap the sausage around the egg, making sure there are no open spots.

Now gently roll the egg in the beaten eggs, then roll it in bread crumbs.

Heat the oil until it's hot enough for a quick fry (I heated the oil at about med-high on my stove).  Slowly add the eggs, one at a time and turn as they brown on each side. 

When browned on all over, remove to a plate with a paper towel to drain the excess oil, then place on a pan in the oven on a low setting to keep warm while the rest cook.

I served these with hash browns, fresh fruit and a nice, spicy mustard.

No comments:

Post a Comment