Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Wasabi Pea Crusted Salmon w/ Honey-Ginger Roasted Carrots


A couple of weeks ago we stopped by the Catonsville Gourmet Market to pick up some truffle butter. They no longer carried it, and it was a crucial ingredient in that evening's meal, but the owner was nice enough to give me a small ramekin of truffle oil free of charge. He suggested that I try infusing butter with the oil. Then as we were checking out everything else they had we saw some containers of wasabi pea crust. I'm sure I could make this on my own, but since I have no food processor, I figured I would give their's a try. (I had to make the truffle butter using my blender! I really hope Santa brings me a new food processor!)

Anyway, last night I decided to make salmon crusted with the wasabi peas, roasted carrots, glazed with honey and powdered ginger and a simple steamed white rice.

Wasabi Crusted Salmon
4 salmon steaks or 1 large fillet, cut into 4 pieces
1 cup crushed wasabi peas
1 egg

Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees F. Beat the egg with 1 tbsp water. Dip each piece of salmon in the egg wash and press, skin side up, into wasabi pea crust. Carefully place in a baking dish, sprayed with cooking spray, skin side down. Bake for 20 minutes, or until opaque throughout.

Honey-Ginger Glazed Carrots
1 lb carrots, peeled and cut into large chunks
powdered ginger
honey
olive oil
Coarse ground salt and pepper

Place carrots in a separate baking dish. Sprinkle with powdered ginger, salt and pepper. Drizzle a small amount of olive oil (1tbsp?) and a generous amount of honey (1/4 cup?). Stir well and bake in oven at 350 for about 20 minutes.

I don't always use measurements. Most of the time I just eyeball the amounts. You can always use more or less to suit your tastes. I also like my carrots crispy. I cannot stand eating over cooked carrots. They could have gone a little longer, but I thought they were great just the way they were.

I really only made two pieces of salmon this way. My husband and I love salmon, but my father and brother also live with us. Dad likes salmon, but hates peas of any sort. My brother hates all fish. So, because I like to make sure they all eat well, I made one piece of salmon and one piece of chicken that I baked and glazed with a mixture of soy, teryaki, honey and lemon juice.

No comments:

Post a Comment