Thursday, January 26, 2012

Pan Fried, Cornmeal Crusted Tilapia

Week 4 of 52 Weeks of Cooking is pan frying. I had this idea in mind for pan fried, cornmeal crusted tilapia, but Hubby is kind of picky about fish. Needless to say, I was thrilled when he suggested it!

tiliapia fillets
cornmeal
flour
2 eggs
vegetable oil
salt and pepper
seasoning of your choice

I bought a package of frozen, individually wrapped tilapia fillets at Safeway for this challenge. When I opened the package, I realized they were pretty thin, so I decided to make two for each of us.

I started by setting up an assembly line. Starting with the fillets...

A plate of flour...
A bowl with the eggs, scrambled, and a plate with cornmeal, mixed with your seasoning of choice. I decided to use Dizzy Pig's Shakin' the Tree. It is their version of lemon pepper.

Now that you have this set up, start heating the oil in a large frying pan.
Flour the fish on both sides.

Then dip the fish in the egg.
Let the excess drip off, then coat each side in the cornmeal mixture.

Place each fillet on a cookie sheet until you are ready to fry them.
When the oil is hot, place the fillets in the oil. Depending on the size of the pan and the fillets, you may have to do this in batches.
Turn them after about 2-3 minutes.
Cook for another 2-3 minutes, or until cooked throughout. Move to a plate lined with paper towels to drain the excess oil.
I served this with roasted red potatoes, roasted asparagus and lemon wedges.

No comments:

Post a Comment