Sunday, January 22, 2012

Chocolate Pretzel Toffee Bark

This week's challenge in the 52 Weeks of Baking is white chocolate. Since that isn't really a favorite of mine, I decided to use both white and dark chocolate (which I love!).

1 bag of white chocolate chips
1 bag of dark chocolate chips
some pretzels
about 1/2 bag of Heath toffee pieces

At the beginning of the week I was thinking about buying a double boiler for this challenge, but then I decided on two metal bowls instead. I could get the same result, but have some new kitchen items that would be a bit more versatile. I started by grabbing two pots that would hold the metal bowls and filled them with water until the water level was just about where the metal bowls would hit. I put the bowls on top of the pots, then turned the heat to about medium.


I added the white chips to one, and the dark chips to another.


While that was heating up, I lined a cookie sheet with wax paper. I filled the wax paper with some broken and some whole pretzel pieces, then sprinkled some toffee bits across the whole thing.

As the chocolate started to heat, I began to whisk it so it didn't burn. The dark chocolate melted nicely, but the white was a little different. It just wasn't melting the same.



I poured the dark chocolate over the lined cookie sheet and continued to try to work with the white. About this point I started to panic. The white chocolate was just a mess and it didn't want to melt right. The first thing I could think of was adding a little water to thin it out. In hindsight, maybe some butter or cream would have been better, but the water did the trick. The white chocolate was finally melting down, so when it was smooth, I poured it on the cookie sheet.

It didn't completely cover the whole sheet, so I grabbed a spatula and smoothed it out, mixing the dark and white together.

Once it was all covered and smoothed out, I added some more toffee chips, pressed them in, and put the whole thing in the freezer. A few hours later I broke the whole thing up, removing the wax paper a little at a time. Now Hubby and I can't stop eating this wonderful bark! 




No comments:

Post a Comment