Saturday, January 14, 2012

Slow Cooked Pork Chops with Sauerkraut

I'm kind of in love with my Crock Pot right now. Today is the third time I've used it this week. My dinner plans had to change up a bit at the last minute when I discovered that my butternut squash was rotting on the shelf. I had to think fast and come up with a new plan, so I started looking around the fridge and pantry, and this is what I've come up with...

4 boneless pork chops (You can use bone-in, but this is what I had in the freezer.)
1 2lb bag of sauerkraut
2 large apples, peeled, cored and diced
1 medium yellow onion, halved, peeled and sliced
4 cloves of garlic, minced
1 cup of apple cider or juice

I was going to do this in two slow cooker liners because my husband hates sauerkraut, but after I prepped it all, I discovered that one of the bags was leaking. I started by putting the frozen pork chops in the bag, 3 in one bag, and 1 in another. The bag with three chops got the whole bag of kraut.

I added some sliced onion to each bag.


Then I added the apples.




Next I put in some garlic.



Then I added 1 cup of apple cider to the large bag, and a half cup to the small bag. When I went to put the large bag in the crock I noticed the leak, so I dumped the whole mess into the crock, then put the small bag in on one side, with the whole top of the bag sticking out of the top.

Add salt and pepper to taste, then cook it on low for about 8 hours. I served this with sauteed kale with bacon and mashed potatoes.
 And Hubby's without the kraut...

No comments:

Post a Comment