Saturday, January 14, 2012

Chinese slow cooked short ribs

This is my second post this week for 52 weeks of cooking. I made fried rice earlier in the week, but I really wanted to try to make something that had a bit more of an authentic Chinese flavor profile to it as well. I've also never made short ribs, so I figured I'd give them a shot. I know this isn't a true Chinese recipe, but I looked at a bunch of recipes on line and took elements of several to come up with this, and I adapted it to cook in the crock pot.
I really need better plates :)

1 medium yellow onion, sliced
8 cloves garlic, minced
1 tbsp Chinese 5 spice
1/2 cup soy sauce (low sodium)
1/8 cup light brown sugar
veg oil for frying
1/2 cup flour
salt and pepper
4 lbs short ribs
2/3 cup of plum wine
2/3 rice wine vinegar
1 tbsp chili garlic sauce
3 cups of beef broth
1 bunch of scallions

The first thing I did was slice the onions and put them in the crock pot.

Next I added the minced garlic, Chinese five spice, soy sauce and brown sugar.
 Now it's time to get to work on the ribs. Slice them into single ribs.
Put the flour onto a large plate, then coat the ribs all over with flour.

Put about 1/2 to 3/8 of an inch of vegetable oil into a frying pan. When it's hot, start adding the ribs. Turn them often, and just cook them long enough to brown on all sides.


As they brown add them to the crock.


Now add the plum wine, rice wine vinegar, chili garlic sauce and beef broth.
 Cook this on low for 8-10 hours. When I got home from work I added some scallions and let them cook with it while I made some steamed broccoli and white rice.

And here is the finished product with some additional scallions for garnish. This was so tender and flavorful!

No comments:

Post a Comment