Monday, January 9, 2012

Slow Simmered Chili

It felt like a chili kind of day today...


1.5 lbs ground chuck
1 lb chorizo sausage
1 can tomato paste
1 can dark kidney beans, drained and rinsed
1 can rotel diced tomatoes and green chilis
1 14.5 oz can of diced tomatoes
5.5 oz can of V-8
1 12 oz beer (I used Budweiser)
1 red pepper, diced
1 green pepper, diced
1 medium yellow onion, diced
5 cloves of garlic, minced
1 tbsp chili powder
1 tsp cumin
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp oregano
1 tsp cocoa powder
6-7 shakes of your favorite hot sauce, I used Cholula
4 dashes of Worcestershire
1 jalapeno, seeds removed, then sliced and minced

Brown the ground chuck in a large pan, then drain the fat. Move the ground chuck from the large pan to a large pot.

Next, remove the chorizo from it's casings, then brown that in the large pan, then drain the fat. Add this to the large pot.

So now you have ground chuck and chorizo sausage, browned and in a pot together.

Now it's time to start adding stuff. Add the Rotel, kidney beans, diced tomatoes, tomato paste, the beer, all the fresh veggies and the seasonings. Mix it all together really well. I still felt like this needed more liquid, so I added about a cup of water. The last thing you add are the dried chipotle chilies, just resting on top of it all. I kept mine at a low simmer for about 6 hours, stirring about every half hour. This gives everything time to really absorb all the flavors.

I served this with some simple corn bread topped with sliced poblano peppers and cheddar cheese, sour cream and scallions for garnish.

This is a modified version of Kenny G's recipe from the Big Green Egg Forum. I did not use my egg today, but I wanted to give Kenny G some credit for being my guide on this chili.

No comments:

Post a Comment