Monday, February 27, 2012

Coffee Caramel Banana Muffins

This week's challenge is "coffee". There are so many things you can do with coffee. It can be savory or sweet. Since I am trying to waste less, I looked around the kitchen to see what I already had, that I could work with on this challenge. The only thing that I had to buy for this was espresso powder, so it was kind of a no-brainer. 


2 cups flour
1 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp ginger
1/2 tsp nutmeg

3/4 cup sugar
1/2 cup butter, softened
2 eggs
1 cup over ripe bananas (I used 3 to get this.)

Caramel squares

Combine the dry ingredients, except the sugar in a small bowl. 

Cream together the butter, sugar, eggs and bananas. 


Start adding the dry ingredients, one large spoonful at a time, to the wet ingredients and mix until just wet.

Spoon about 1/4 cup of batter into each muffin tin, then top with a caramel, pressed into the center.


Bake for 20 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. (Not from the center, because of the caramel.)

This yielded 13 muffins.  I did the first 12 as directed, then added a sprinkle of sea salt to the last one. I wish I had done that to them all! It was so yummy!

No comments:

Post a Comment