Sunday, February 26, 2012

Slow Cooked Short Ribs and Mushrooms

Week 8 is slow cooking, so I decided to use my crock pot. This looked yummy, smelled yummy and tasted yummy. Too bad it felt weird. I have to blame the butcher for this fail. Every bite we took felt like it had tiny shards of bone in it, so we all finally gave up and got something else to eat. :(
I swear it looked better in person. It just didn't photograph well. Anyway, here is what I did Wednesday morning...

I diced a yellow onion and put that in the crock.
 I quartered a package of baby bellas and a half a package of button mushrooms and added them.
I minced about 8 cloves of garlic and added that along with some fresh cracked black pepper and a few sprigs of fresh rosemary.
Next I cut the short ribs into single pieces, then floured them and did a quick sear to brown them.






I added 4 cups of beef broth, then started laying the short ribs in the crock.

I topped it all with a few more sprigs of rosemary, put on the top, set it to low and went to work.

I came home to this...
Looking and smelling good, I decided to debone it.

I skimmed the fat off the top of the liquid, added the mushrooms and onions to the meat, and decided to reduce the sauce that was left.
I steamed some rice and made a carrot and ginger puree to serve with the short ribs, and then I settled in for what I thought would be a nice dinner. Too bad there were bone shards in every bite. The whole thing was a huge waste of time and money. Can you tell I'm still bitter?

No comments:

Post a Comment