Thursday, February 11, 2010

Oven Baked Tofu

Okay, I know I got the idea for this from someone else's blog, but I really can't remember what is was, so I'm sorry for not giving credit! I served this as a side with my beef and veggie stir fry, but you could certainly use it as the main dish in the meal instead of beef. Tofu is a great vegetarian option for anyone who is looking to reduce their meat intake.

1 block extra firm tofu
1 tsp sesame oil
3 tbsp soy sauce

Cut the tofu in four equal slices. Lay tofu over paper towels and place paper towels on top as well. The goal is to try to remove as much moisture as possible. Gently press the paper towels onto the tofu. Use more if needed. Once that's done, mix the sesame oil and soy sauce together. You may need to use a whisk to really incorporate the two. Pre-heat the oven to 350 degrees (I used my toaster oven). Use a pastry brush to brush both sides of each piece of tofu. Allow this to sit and absorb while the oven heats up. Spray a baking sheet with cooking spray and place tofu on cooking sheet. Cook the tofu for about an hour or so, re-coating with sesame-soy mixture every ten miutes until all the liquid is gone. Cook until tofu is firm to the touch and nicely browned. I also seem to remember that the blog I got this from advised adding some sesmae seeds and scallions when it was done. That sounds yummy to me, but I didn't have any on hand.

No comments:

Post a Comment