Monday, January 16, 2012

Slow Cooker Left Overs/Suprise Soup

What do you have in the fridge that's left over from last week? What do you have in the freezer that you really need to use before freezer burn sets in? Lets put it all in the slow cooker and see what happens!

Yesterday I was trying to think of something to make for dinner tonight, so I started rooting around the freezer. That's when I decided to use up some things that needed to be used before they went bad. I had some bone in, skin on chicken thighs that had been in the freezer for a few months. I put them in a gallon size plastic bag and started adding stuff. I had about 1 1/2 cups of gravy from Thanksgiving that I had frozen in ice cube trays, so I added that to the bag. Then I started looking at my leftover, fresh veggies. I had carrots, some green beans, half a yellow onion, and two red potatoes, so I cut them up and put them in the bag. I added a little minced garlic and a tablespoon of dried thyme, but I wanted something more. I also had an open bag of peas in the freezer, so that went in the bag too. Next I added a healthy dose of freshly cracked black pepper, and I figured that was enough. Plus the bag was now too full to close.

This morning I dumped it all in the crock, but then I decided that it needed more liquid, so I also added a jar of gravy that was in my pantry. I set it on low and went about my day.


Eight hours later I checked the slow cooker. It was looking pretty good, but I decided to remove the chicken so that I could take off the skin and de-bone it. It basically fell apart. I put the de-boned chicken back in the crock and mixed it all up. Mmmm, things are starting to look pretty good in there!

Next I started a pot of rice to give it a little more body, then I skimmed the fat off the top. I added the juice from a lemon and called it "Chicken Stoup". It's not quite a soup, but not quite a stew.
This wasn't exactly impressive cuisine, but it was tasty and filling.

No comments:

Post a Comment