Monday, February 20, 2012

Love Inspired Surf and Turf

Week 7 is a "love inspired" dish. I really had to think about this one before I finally decided what to do. I know that sounds weird, but for me, almost every dish is love inspired. I really didn't want to do some cheesy Valentine's dinner. Hubby and I really don't do Valentine's day. I don't need a special day to know how much he loves me, so we just don't really participate.

One of my biggest cooking influences was my great-grandmother. "Mom" is the best person I have ever known, and if she fed you, you knew she loved you. Mom was not a great chef, but she could always make you something filling and semi-healthy. Her specialty was roast beef with mashed potatoes and some kind of green veggie. Meat, potatoes and a veggie. And heaven forbid she forget the rolls! We sat down to dinner one night, and she realized she had forgotten the rolls. "Oh my Lawd, the rolls!"  Now, someone says that at every family gathering. Mom is missed, but we will never forget the love she gave us and all the food she made us.

I decided that my "love inspired dish" would be something I would make Saturday evening. Our friend Bill was coming over, and it had been far too long since we had seen him. Plus, we love him. :) Unfortunately, our plumbing decided to have major issues Saturday, so we had to reschedule Bill for Sunday. I won't go into the plumbing mess since we're talking about food here. I really wanted to make something wonderful for Bill, so I decided on surf n turf.

This isn't a recipe, just a run down of what I served. I bought a pre-marinated petite fillet of beef that we grilled. We made some bacon wrapped shrimp with horseradish. This was skewered and grilled. I made mashed potatoes, kale sauteed with bacon, and sauteed some button mushrooms and yellow onion in a little butter. Meat, potatoes and a green veggie. It was a wonderful meal, and it was great to catch up with Bill.

No comments:

Post a Comment