Sunday, February 12, 2012

Brazillian Inspired Grilled Flank Steak with Fresh Salsa

Okay, so I was sick for most of the week, and while I am feeling better, I am seriously lacking motivation right now. Probably because Hubby and I went out for lunch and I ate a whole Reuben, most of my fries, and drank two beers. So now, I'm not even hungry, but I have to cook dinner and write a blog post. 

This week's challenge is Brazilian. (Insert waxing joke here, since every time I say it, Hubby giggles like a school boy.) I had a hard time deciding what to make this week. I finally found a recipe for Brazilian style flank steak that looked yummy, so I decided to use this for inspiration.

For the flank steak...
1.5 lb flank steak
6 garlic cloves, minced
1 jalapeno, minced
2 tbsp olive oil
1/2 tsp kosher salt
pepper

For the salsa:
1 tomatillo
2 plum tomatoes
2 hearts of palm
2 thick slices of red onion
2 serrano peppers
cilantro
red wine vinegar
juice of 1 lime

First, I got the flank steak marinating, then I got to work on the salsa. Sorry there aren't very many pics, but like I said, I'm lacking motivation right now.

While the flank steak marinates, put together the salsa.

Get your grill up to about 400 degrees, then cook the steak for about 8 minutes per side for medium. When it comes off the grill, let it rest for about 5 minutes on a cutting board, covered with foil.


When it's done resting, cut it in thin strips, across the grain.


I served this with the salsa, black beans, and some white rice.
 You should also serve this with a caipirinha. I will make this again, but the salsa was too spicy. Next time I'll only use one serrano, and maybe add more hearts of palm and tomatoes. Maybe I'll even add a little sugar. We'll see.


*Editing before posting, a day after I cooked this. 

No comments:

Post a Comment